Wednesday, June 4, 2008

SECURITY: the biggest difference between civilian and naval nuclear power

While I can’t post both sides of the story, I can say that I was amazed at the differences. I can tell you things about the plant that you would never hear about NNPP. Things like this:

Our reactor puts out 2900 MW thermal and just under 1GW electric.
Each cooling tower pump (MSW) will pump 500,000 gallons per minute and they will do just over 1,750,000 gpm.
We lose about 10,000 gpm to vapor out of the cooling tower.
We measure fuel usage in the ratio of MW to tones of uranium.
Every fuel cell we ever had in the core are in our spent fuel pool (I saw them this morning).

I can’t tell you anything about our plant security. Firstly, people outside that department don’t get a lot of information and we were warned in training if we saw some trend (what time they shift or their tour routes, etc) to just forget it. So that’s it. SECURITY.

I will post more on the differences. If you have a specific question let me know

No comments: