Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentine’s Day

I asked her what she for Valentine’s day and to me she replied
I have no idea, and why waste the money, we should economize
I merely wanted to show my love and my appreciation,
For all she does and all she prays and her catechization.

So to this end I took a search, and on the internet
With Google’s help, I found this poem and recognized the poet
It is a small gem, but I knew when I found it
That it fits us very well and so I think I’ll post it.

She will be away from me this day of love
To tour a college with my eldest
Perhaps tis not a dreadful thing
Passing another family planning test.


I gave myself to him,
And took himself for pay.
The solemn contract of a life
Was ratified this way
The value might disappoint,
Myself a poorer prove
Than this my purchaser suspect,
The daily own of Love
Depreciates the sight;
But, 'til the merchant buy,
Still fabled, in the isles of spice
The subtle cargoes lie.
At least, 'tis mutual risk,
Some found it mutual gain;
Sweet debt of Life,
each night to owe,
Insolvent, every noon.



Poem 22 ( I gave myself to him ) a poem by Emily Dickinson

No comments: