Friday, November 14, 2008

Saint Aloysius School's Veteran's day Program

















The program was wonderful, as usual, and the coffee and donuts were nice as well. I saw several of the other congregation members there, and was surprised at how many were Vets. I held off making a Veterans’ day blog entry until after this program, perhaps I was just being lazy. While I have always had a great overall respect for the men and women who have volunteered to serve and are still serving, I had considered my contribution small compared to a Viet Nam or Korean War Vet. It occurred to me today during the program that while keeping the “Evil Empires” at bay from the rest of the world was a quiet endeavor, it was no less important to the children of today than the efforts “in country” of other wars. And while it is not as visually dramatic as the efforts of our active duty military today, it is just as important. It is something that I am proud of, my small contribution and the difference that it made in the teams that I was a member of. Perhaps if we had done better in being aware of the “bigger picture” and sharing the real day-to-day import of our jobs to the nation, it wouldn’t have taken 3 years of retirement for me to realize it!

The pictures aren’t the greatest, but then I don’t have to worry about the legality of showing a bunch of minors on the web. Thanks to all you Vets, brothers and sisters in arms, may God bless you all and may God continue to bless America.

No comments: