Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My son the poet

he sent this to me and I was impressed.....


"Men are childish," a woman said one day.
"They laugh and get their fun in the most immature ways:
laughing at gas, gas and insulting people to their face.
It's sad. It's pathetic. It's a disgrace."
"I agree," said her friend at the table.
"I don't know when they will be able,
to not act in such ways.
We all know that will take many days."
"Now wait a minute!" The husband barged in.
"At least I don't talk about others and their sins,
behind their backs to those who don't need to know.
At least I fight for worth, some sort of honor bestowed,
unlike women, who pick petty ordeals,
to fight and scream about, biting at each other's heals."
"At least I'm not spying, listening to conversations,
that weren't meant for a man's contemplation."
"At least when I insult someone, it needs not be secret,
I'll say it to their face loud enough for all to hear it."
"Well, maybe that's the cause of wars,
All the men in charge using words as swords."
"Maybe," a little voice came from the door,
"it's somewhere in the middle that will stop the wars."
"Son, you don't understand quite yet.
There's no way, I bet."
"I think I know this world well enough,
Dad, you don't need to bee so tough,
and Mom, you don't need to hide,
all of your criticisms inside.
I may be younger than you,
I may not know as much as you do,
but I live in the same place,
and we're all in the same race.
It's a happy median of the two,
a little man for you, and woman for you.
Now, please, you listen to me,
because you don't do it every time I speak,
I am tired of your fighting,
your back-stabbing and spying,
your spitting in faces and fighting,"
They all stood in silence,
staring at the child who had given his sense.
The mother was crying softly,
and the father had so many tears he could barely see.
They came together and scooped up their son,
holding him in their arms, thankful for what he had done.
"I love you, Dad. I love you, Mom."
He'd at least stopped one war to come.
© Brady Mertens July 28, 2008
...I love you guys...

No comments: